Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Cry me a river

Over the years, I always thought it interesting to hear my young children monitor whining in each other or their friends. Waa! waa! waa! Cry me a river, they'd say, if someone complained. It worked and the whiner stopped and laughed. I was thinking recently that it wouldn't be a bad idea for adults to use this to keep each other in check.  

Why do we, as humans, whine, create drama, and react poorly at times? Stress, fatigue, frustration, lack of confidence, anger, unhappiness, negativity, uncertainty. The list goes on and the reasons are as diverse as each individual and the situations they're facing.

Yes, let's acknowledge that there is so much grace around us and it's always refreshing to witness. Still, disgrace does, however, surface here and there, around us, and in each of us.

Driving through an intersection tonight someone decided to blast their very loud horn. I knew it literally jolted everyone crossing out of their seats as I observed every car within earshot halt briefly to check out what was going on. Was it an alert we should all heed? Was someone ready to crash? No, it was just a very rude and impatient individual. Someone who could have easily themselves caused an accident with the unnecessary and persistent honking. Not a good moment for that driver or those in his or her wake.

We all have our good and bad moments. Times when we rise above challenges and times when we let things or others get the best of us. What's important is that we recognize when we can do better and do something about it. I'm a true believer that we can't control what happens around us, but we can control our reaction to it. Or that at least should be a goal.

One nice thing about my commute that's longer than most is that it gives me time to decompress and think about things. Tonight, as I do most evenings, I reflected about the day, about the past few dayswhat I did right and what I could have done bettter. My life is a work in progress. I usually focus less on what I do right and tend to think more about what I want to do better. I can be hard on myself, too, but it's mostly because I know better and it bothers me when I slip.

Getting closer to home, as I approached a local farm with a view unobstructed by any building, I looked up and saw the vibrant red sun setting against the steel blue sky. I felt this wave of calm and I knew that everything in general is going to be okay. I felt so lucky to live on this beautiful planet with so many wonderful people to meet, things to do, and places to see.

Leo Tolstoy said it well. "Everybody thinks of changing humanity, but nobody thinks of changing himself." I do. I like to reflect on life's lessons. It's important to me to contine to learn and grow. Who do I want to be? Life's not easy, but we're lucky to live it, so I don't want to waste any time not trying to be the best I can be. No crying a river here for me.

Until next time, yours in fun and life...Therese

No comments:

Post a Comment